Saturday, October 20, 2007

Numbers


(I took a picture of numbers with my camera and put a radial blur to it using Photoshop.)

As I was looking over my tests, I began to think about how, for the past few years, my school life had been revolving around certain numbers that were "essential" to having a better education - marks. In a sense, everyone's life revolves around numbers... marks, price tags, taxes, unpaid bills, cheques... It's strange how these numbers can control a person's life. For example, when someone gets low marks on a test, he or she may feel sad and depressed for many reasons (like being unable to obtain his or her goal of scoring an A+). However, when he or she gets a high mark (such as reaching his or her goal of scoring the A+), then he or she would feel satisfied and happy.
Sometimes, I think of what the world would be like if there weren't these numbers in our lives. Would it be better? I constantly think of a pressure-free life, of not having to worry about getting a high mark on the next test in order to improve or maintain my overall average. Unfortunately, that vision is only a mirage, and in reality, pressure is everywhere, pushing us to move on, regardless of whether we liked what we've accomplished and achieved or not...